3x3 Tournament Rules
- Half of a traditional basketball court will be used.
- Each team will have 3 players attending the game.
- Each team shall have a minimum of 4 players and a maximum of 5 in their roster.
🏀 Game Officials
- The game will be managed by 1 Table Official and 1 Referee.
🏀 Beginning of the game
- Teams will warm up simultaneously at the court.
- A coin flip shall determine which team gets the first possession. The team that wins the coin flip can either choose to benefit from the ball possession at the beginning of the game or at the beginning of a third period.
- The game cannot begin if one of the teams is not on the playing court with 3 players ready to play.
- Every shot from inside the arc (1-point field goal area) shall be awarded 1 point.
- Every shot from behind the arc (2-point field goal area) shall be awarded 2 points.
- Every successful free throw shall be awarded 1 point.
🏀 Playing Time/Winner of a game
- The regular playing time shall be 3 periods of 10 minutes.
- The game clock shall be stopped during free throws.
- The game clock shall be restarted when:
- After a successful last free throw, the next offensive team is in possession of the ball.
- After an unsuccessful last free throw and the ball continues to be live, the ball touches or is touched by any player on the playing court.
- The first team to score 21 points or more during a period wins the period, if it happens before the end of regular playing time.
- The team that wins 2 periods wins the game.
- If the score is tied at the end of a period, an overtime shall be played. The first team to score 2 points in the overtime wins the period.
- A team shall lose the game by forfeit if at the scheduled starting time of the game the team is not present on the playing court with 3 players ready to play. A team shall be disqualified from the competition after its second forfeit or in case of no-show.
- A team shall lose the game by default if it leaves the court before the end of the game or all the players of the team are injured and/or disqualified.
🏀 Fouls/Free Throws
- A team is in a penalty situation after it has committed 6 fouls. Players are not excluded based on the number of personal fouls.
- If the foul is committed on a player in the act of shooting, that player shall be awarded a number of free throws as follows:
- If the shot released from the field goal area is successful, the goal shall count and, in addition, 1 free throw. 2 free throws shall be awarded as of the 7th team foul.
- If the shot released from inside the arc is unsuccessful, 1 free throw. 2 free throws shall be awarded as of the 7th team foul.
- If the shot released from behind the arc is unsuccessful, 2 free throws.
- Unsportsmanlike and disqualifying fouls are counted as 2 fouls for team fouls purposes. The first unsportsmanlike foul of a player shall be penalized with 2 free throws, but no ball possession. All disqualifying fouls (including the second unsportsmanlike of a player) shall be penalized with 2 free throws and ball possession.
- Team fouls 7, 8 and 9 shall always be penalized with 2 free throws. Team foul 10 and any subsequent team fouls shall be penalized with 2 free throws and ball possession.
- All technical fouls shall be always penalized with 1 free throw. The free throw shall be administered immediately. After the free throw, the check-ball shall be administered by the team which had control of the ball or was entitled to the ball when the technical foul was called.
🏀 How the ball is played
- Following each successful field goal or last free throw (except those followed by ball possession):
- A player from a non-scoring team shall resume the game by dribbling or passing the ball from inside the court directly underneath the basket (not from behind the end line) to a place on the court behind the arc.
- The defensive player is not allowed to play for the ball in the “no-charge semi-circle area” underneath the basket.
- Following each unsuccessful field goal or last free throw (except those followed by ball possession)
- If the offensive player rebounds the ball, he may continue to attempt to score without returning the ball behind the arc.
- If the defensive player rebounds the ball, he must return the ball behind the arc (by passing or dribbling)
- If the defensive team steals or blocks the ball, it must return the ball behind the arc (by passing or dribbling).
- Possession of the ball given to either team following any dead ball situation shall start/resume with a check-ball, i.e. an exchange of the ball (between the defensive and the offensive player) behind the arc at the top of the playing court.
- A player is considered to be “behind the arc” when neither of his feet is inside or on the arc line.
- In the event of a jump ball situation, the game shall be resumed with a check-ball for the last defensive team.
- Possession of the ball at the beginning of the second period will be given to the team that won the first.
- Possession of the ball at the beginning of the third period (if any) will be given to the winner of the second period, unless the team that won the coin-flip at the beginning of the game has opted for it.
- Stalling or failing to play actively (i.e. not attempting to score) shall be a violation.
- If the court is equipped with a shot clock, a team must attempt a shot for a field goal within 15 seconds. The shot clock shall start as soon as the ball is at the disposal of the offensive player (following the exchange with the defensive player or after a successful field goal underneath the basket).
- An offensive player, after the ball has been cleared, shall not hold the ball and/or dribble inside the arc with his back or side to the basket for more than 5 consecutive seconds.
- There shall be no substitutions during the games as per UK Government rule of 6.
- Each team shall be granted 1 time-out per period. Any player or the coach can request a time-out when the ball becomes dead prior to a check-ball or free throw.
- All time-outs shall last 30 seconds.
Teams will play 7 games of the regular season on the following dates: October 11th, October 18th, October 25th, November 1st, November 8th, November 15th, November 22nd.
The top 4 teams will advance to the playoffs and will play the semi-finals on November 29th.
The 2 winning teams from the semi-finals will play the Finals on December 6th.
- Each team will be given 3 points for a win and 1 point for a loss.
- Teams that don't show up for a game will be given 0 points and their opponent will be given 3 points, the point differential will be +20 for the winning team.
- The following classification rules shall apply. If teams that have reached the same stage of the competition are tied, the steps to break the tie shall be applied in the following order:
- Head-to-head comparison.
- Most points scored on average.
- Most wins in 2 periods.
- If teams are still tied after those 3 steps, a coin flip will decide the tie-breaker.
- A player shall be disqualified for the remainder of the game when he is charged with 2 unsportsmanlike fouls. A player disqualified from the game may be further disqualified from the event by the organizer. Independent thereof, the organizer shall disqualify player(s) concerned from the event for acts of violence, verbal or physical aggression, tortuous interference in-game results. LBN may also disqualify the entire team from the event depending on that team ́s other members' contribution (also through non-action) to the aforementioned behaviour.
- Teams will not be able to play more than 1 game per day, as per the rule of 6 forbids bubbles from mixing.
- Teams shall be ready, changed, gone through the screening 10 minutes before the start of their game.
- Teams will not be allowed to have any subs, as per the rule of 6 won’t allow any other person than the 6 from the bubble to participate.
- If a team loses a player due to injury during the game, the game can continue being 3x2. LBN recommends, as a gesture of sportsmanship, that the other teams also play with 2 players, but it’s completely up to them. If the team with 3 players decides to play with 2, they can sub the 3rd anytime.